A device used to dampen or soften the sound of certain instruments.a device that is fitted to an instrument to soften or otherwise alter its tone. this may be an object placed inside the bell of a brass instrument, or on the bridge of a stringed instrument.<br><br>An object placed in the bell of an instrument which affects the radiation of sound from the instrument and modifies its tone quality