A quill, or a piece of ivory, wood, etc. used to pluck the strings of an instrument such as a harpsichord, mandolin, zither, guitar, etc.a small device often used to pluck the strings on instruments such as the lute, mandolin, banjo and guitar. it has a rounded end and can be made of wood, metal, horn, ivory, plastic or tortoiseshell. The word is also used to describe the quills which pluck the strings in a harpsichord.<br><br>Another name for a flatpick